Re: [TCML] phillips question about wax and more

Hi Alex,

Don't be silly. I'm not the pro on anything. But yes, I have repotted an NST a couple of times. Your question about current and shunt removal is completely scientific. I expect such a question as it is a logical question to ask on this subject. My answer is : I haven't a clue!!! "Einstien would be proud of that answer"!

My NST was a Franceformer 12/60. I burned a secondary. Well, I heated and removed the tar from the NST. I then cleaned up the secondaries, primaries, core, etc.. When I put it back together, I decided to take 1/2 the shunts out (exactly). The shunts were made of 4 bricks positioned around the NST core. I simply removed 1/2 of each brick (which were square laminations). I simply counted the total laminations in each brick and removed 1/2 of those. I expected at the time my current would double. I expected a 120mA NST. Guess what, I got a near 200mA NST out of the ordeal. Very surprising to me! The shunts are not linear to the current limit of the core. It is a differential increase in current, and as I realized that, it was that point that I decided to recommend no more that 1/2 the shunts removed from a depotting experience. Just a recommendation (if you feel compelled to remove more, by all means, have fun with it).

About all I can say is that if you remove 1/2 the shunts out of a Franceformer 12/60, you'll do better than double the current.

Take care,
Bart

b alex pettit jr wrote:
Hi Bart,
Since you are the Pro on this topic, ( twice repotting )
what level of depotting does it take to get to the shunts to up the current output ? Where are they, how many do you remove to double the output .. a 12Kv from 60 ma to 120 ma ?

Thanks,
Alex P

The current boost from removing 1/2 the shunts makes up for any layer winding removal. My NST went form 12kV down to 10.6kV, but the current more than doubled (way more). I ended up with an NST that seriously rocks and rocks for long continuous runs. _______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx