Re: [TCML] phillips question about wax and more

Hi DC,

I hate to disagree, but I must. Wax will not cause a failure. Other issues cause the failure.

I've ran with wax with zero problems (including my 4.5" high current NST which you know about). I've even ran it 30 minutes continuous with no problems whatsoever and during that run with big high current sparks. The orignal tar in NST's doesn't penetrate the windings well. Hot liquid wax actually does a better job than the original tar.

I've never understood why some members are against wax as a potting compound for repotted NST's? If it had conductive issues then I would agree, but it doesn't. It dries and holds the core solid in place. And it is easy to fix if someone over volts the tranny. No one has had a failure due to wax. The wax was never the problem, but the voltage at the gap was too high or something like that.

I agree that oils will penetrate the outer windings a little better, but this doesn't mean that coilers should not use wax. Wax has it's benefits and it's cheap, readily available, and a nice strong hold for the core wihtin the case. I see wax as ideal for an NST repotting compound.

Take care,
Bart

DC Cox wrote:
Don't remove the coils at all.  Just unpot, reconnect to silicone GTO wire,
and drop it into a Walmart tub filled with xmfr oil.

No, don't use wax.  Unless you vacuum impregnate the wax into the windings
you will have a failure.

Dr. Resonance