Re: [TCML] protecting appliances

As much as they would like to say they protect, they do not if you experience a close or direct lightning hit. I had a bolt strike about 500 ft from the house and blew up the telephones and modem in the computer.
Another strike was about 75 ft from the house and it wiped one TV.
neither strike hit a phone or power line.
I have surge suppressors as the darn modern electronics are far too sensitive and blow easy. My main loss of equipment is due to power surges/ blackouts due to trees falling across the power lines around here in the winter. My 26 yr old TV still chugged along but my 6 month old TV died, not once but twice!

Now, lightning rods. They are not a point for the lightning to be attracted to, on the contrary, they bleed the charge into the sky to discharge the potential of the clouds about the rod. it is very important to have an excellent ground, even better multiple grounds with large metal sheets buried. A grounding rod will not do, you need a large surface area in contact with the earth. The conductor from the ground to the rod is usually 3/8" dia heavy copper wire, 3/8" tubing will work too, all connections are soldered to minimize resistance. The rod must come to a sharp point to be effective. In fact, you have to do periodic "maintenance" on the rod by sharpening the point as it gets dull with the continued discharge. There is specialized testing equipment to verify you have a good ground first and foremost and then virtually zero resistance connection from the ground to the rod. There can be a lot of current flowing during a storm. Any resistance in a joint or connection, even very low, can turn into a significant voltage drop during a storm.

I have 2 antique German lightning testers with instructions as well as numerous books on the subject.

Frank