[TCML] protecting appliances

I recently had my daughter and a friend move back into the house, and her
friend's big, flatscreen tv got me thinking about this. His room with the tv is
in the basement, extremely close to my workshop. Is there any reasonable
protection that I could/should use to protect his electrical items, such as
computer, flat screen tv, etc? I'm thinking surge protector strip for his stuff
(I also run my coil power supplies through a surge protector fwiw), but beyond
unplugging everything, is there more I can do? Thanks everyone for your
suggestions,

Neal.