From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Chris Swinson
Sent: Thu 7/31/2008 8:46 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Problems with secondary - internal arcing

That secondary looks in a bad way!  once arcing starts it carries on. I have
not had problems like that other than overcoupling on one of my test
coils... Have you contacted the guy you brought it off ?  I think you should
rebuild the secondary coil, or at least get it replaced...

If it was totally enclosed internally, maybe moisture got in, and when you
powered up the coil it started to ionize the inside of the secondary
reducing resistance, causing arcing. I don't know what fluid there is, maybe
the thing was coated in something, or had a wax coating which cause the
problem...

Some other guys on the list maybe able to give a better insight, though I
really think you need to rebuild your coil, obtain some regular drain/waste
pipe and a few KG of 0.4mm magnet wire.. drain pipe is normally a good few
mm thick so its pretty tough (well it is in the UK anyway!) Depending where
you are in the world, some list members maybe able to help you with a
replacement secondary coil... or just shoot the guy you brought it off....?

HTH
Chris