Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:53 AM
Subject: [TCML] Need assistance in diagnosing poor performance

We're still not getting the performance we would expect out of the Tesla
coil we built.

It might have been the humidity that killed it tonight, as performance
was the worst yet - spark length was only 3" using the safety wand.

Where should I start in looking for problems? I've built the 555 timer
based tuner and re-tapped the primary at coil 11, as this gave the
dimmest indication, as per the instructions.

Apart from that, I'm a bit stumped.

I've seen evidence that this coil can give much better performance -
Alan sent me some recent pictures of a US military coiler over in Iraq,
getting at least 25" arcs out of his coil - exact same specs.

Maybe the desert air helps...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve