From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:38 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] gaps

Hi Jim,

I have a question about your gap. The tapered air blast is focused
directly into the gap between electrodes, but is there any airflow over
the brass dowels themselves? It's interesting to me as it appears the
air is being used to force quench the gap as opposed to just cooling it.
I suppose the gap tips are being cooled, but if I'm understanding this
gap air blast setup correctly, it appears the electrodes are staying
cool due to quenching and not by "convection".

Have you scoped the gap to look at energy transfer waveforms
(quenching)? I suspect it is quenching at the 1st primary notch. There
are of course other aspects to consider such as actual power delivered
to the gap, but your gap seems to give a ray of hope for solid stock
electrodes. In my case, I attempted to cool solid brass round stock
(1/2" x 3", several in a multi gap setup). They got hot quickly and
performance dropped fast. The difference is that I was attempting to
cool the brass stock itself. Due to the poor thermal cooling ability of
solid stock, I failed even with a high air flow. I then tried larger
brass stock (5/8" diameter). It took a little longer before sparks
diminished, but I realized it was simply due to the fact that larger
solid stock took a little longer to heat up at the same power level, but
it eventually did, and air just would not balance out the heat at my
power level. Then I decided to design for large surface area and fast
heat up (which also cools fast, so balance and control is easier to
obtain). Thus, large copper cylinders. The difference was amazing and
confirmed with a 30 minute run! I was running probably higher power at
180mA in all these attempts.

But, your gap is different in that it is blowing directly on the gap
itself and "maybe" this is affecting quench times?

Regards,
Bart