Re: [TCML] a new coil being born + PICTURES

> >I put rubber under the pillow
> >blocks and the whole plaform  to deaden some of the
> vibrations.
> >This thing is scary at full speed.
>

> I hope you've got a shield for that!

I plan on encasing the whole thing in a box with a fan and ventilation for the gap.

>     I run my ASRG to 4000 rpm with a VFD. I'm more
> scared of the rotary gap
> than I am of the electricity! I must've done a good
> job on it, because it
> takes *10 minutes* to coast to a stop (if I don't use
> the drive to brake it).

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how fast this motor runs but I figure it's around 3600 RPM or more. I used to have a wheel-encoder on it and measured index pulses with that so I know it's capable. With a dual channel o scope, I fed an AC sinewave in one channel and monitored the break rate on another and if anything it probably goes _too_ fast. On the other end of the motor I'm going to attach a small timing disc which will double as a cooling fan.

Do you use a static gap in series with your ASRG?

> >Here is a shot of my unfinished sliding core ballast. I
> found a  bunch of
> zinc coated steel fender
> >washers and laminated one side and stuck them all
> together. Not the  best
> but they're magnetic so
> >good deal. They fit perfectly inside of this 2"
> PVC pipe and slide  easily.
>

> Your washers are going "against the grain". The
> eddy currents are
> unfortunately not going to be terribly mitigated, either.
> It'll be interesting to see
> how hot it gets.

Yeah I thought that might be an issue too but I'm not too concerned.
The purpose of the ballast is to ramp up to full power slowly so most of the time the core won't even be in. I built everything for 50A but realistically I'll probably only run it at 30A. (#10 wire in the
ballast.)

> >Here's some of the  50A 220V cables I'm going
> to use. TIP: Recreational
> >vehicle (RV)  stores are a great supply for 50A
> extention cables.
>

> That's a great tip, thanks!
>
> >Maxwell Caps. I've had these for awhile. 100KV @
> 10nF.
>
> >I can easily short out the last capacitor for 70KV @
> 15nF:
>

> >http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/MaxCaps.JPG
>

> I hope those outside terminals don't come too  close to
> all that pretty wood!

They actually go through the wood on the ends of the box and there are two screws that I crank down to sandwich the bank together. When I want to take a capacitor out, I loosen the press and stick some wire in there to short out one of the capacitors then tighten it again. Is that bad? I've used this capacitor bank before without problems, and I coat the exposed terminals with polyurethane for an extra little bit of insulation. (Home Depot has this liquid rubber stuff I want to try, but it's ugly orange.)