From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jeremy Scott
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 6:35 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] a new coil being born + PICTURES

Pictures of a new coil being born in my garage.
I have some work to do yet but it's coming together nicely.
I thought I'd share a few pics.

Here's a full shot of the ASRG on it's oak platform. It swings eight 3/8"
tungsten electrodes on a 10" path. The G10 disc is 3/4" thick and it's
inertia at full speed is awesome, the whole platform wants to move.
I have the regenerative controller ramp it up to full speed over
about 15 seconds.

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/ASRG.JPG

Here's the 3/8" electrodes for the ASRG with clamp on retaining collars.
(Set screw type won't bite tungsten.) I put rubber under the pillow
blocks and the whole plaform to deaden some of the vibrations.
This thing is scary at full speed.

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/ASRG-gap.JPG

The fearful Leeson 2HP Permanent Magnet DC motor (4800RPM). I run it at 90V:

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/Leeson.JPG

Here is a shot of my unfinished sliding core ballast. I found a bunch of
zinc coated steel fender washers and laminated one side and stuck them all
together. Not the best but they're magnetic so good deal. They fit perfectly
inside of this 2" PVC pipe and slide easily. I will wind 10 inches of #10
solid copper THHN wire about 6 or 7 turns for 30 or 50A.
(In the background you can see one of the AutoCAD templates I used for
laying out the primary supports.)

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/BallastCore.JPG

Here's some of the 50A 220V cables I'm going to use. TIP: Recreational
vehicle (RV) stores are a great supply for 50A extention cables.

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/BigWire.JPG

Here's a shot of everything all put together, so far. That's all oak
underneath. I hope to put some hinged doors or panels on this to
completely enclose it and make it look like a nice piece of
furniture. I also hope to deaden some of the sound and/or stop any
tungsten 'bullets.' (Hence the fan under the spark gap.)

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/MainTable.JPG

Maxwell Caps. I've had these for awhile. 100KV @ 10nF.
I can easily short out the last capacitor for 70KV @ 15nF:
(I've got some geekgroup caps incase I destroy these.)

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/MaxCaps.JPG

The primary support comb. Supports 16 turns 1/4" copper pipe.
These were designed in AutoCAD then printed to scale and
glued to the plastic as a cutting guide. Worked very well.
Big holes so I can hit most of the outer turns with the tap:

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/PrimaryComb.JPG

Another shot of the comb. These were fun to make. I will
slide them into the supports and glue them. No metal here,
the wooden supports are pegged and glued.

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/PrimaryComb2.JPG

My primary table. I went nuts with the router:
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/PrimaryTable.JPG

The PT and ballast caps from my old coil. Needs a good dusting:
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/PT.JPG

My 6.5" x 25" secondary and 7" duct for toroid:
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jeremyscott/web/Secondary.JPG