Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

Hi Chris,

I am not sure what the outcome of the capacitance is... if it was a rolled cap then spacing the turns just 5mm apart should pretty much kill any capacitance there... I think we all agree that a primary capacitance will be far less in value... so overall, if I space my turns a few mm apart then the capacitance of the primary should in be in the order of a few pF, probably not worth even thinking about..
I agree. The rolled sheet method is way too high (nice try, but a no go). I built a flat primary this weekend. I couldn't measure C or Fr as C was just too low and Fr beyond my generators ability. I think C is going to be very low on your primary. I model in Javatc cylinders as suggested by Phil (4 cylinders at 22" diameter for 1st then grew each cylinder by 1mm to represent your primary and placed them 40" above the ground plane). Came out to 20.42pF. This is probably closer to reality.

On a good note, the flat ribbon inductance program is right on the money. Kudo's to Kurt Schraner for bringing the flat ribbon inductance equation to light.

Take care,
Bart