Re: [TCML] MOTkenstein

In a message dated 7/24/08 11:48:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Here is my idea, take two identical MOT cores, and cut them into

>two "E" shapes.  Then create a wooden mold the same size as  the center

>leg of the "E."  Wind ten or twenty layers of sheet aluminum  (or copper)

>separated by thick cardboard (to be soaked in oil) and leave two  tabs

>sticking out, one at the center one at the edge.  Then wind  600 or 1200

>turns of magnet wire separating each layer of windings by several  layers

>of paper, grounding the bottom winding to the core.

You might need a bit more than twenty  turns on the primary.

>When this is done

>(assuming everything fits) the wooden core would be removed and the  two

>"E's" would be put together creating a really tall MOT core, with  sheet

>primary underneath wire secondary.

    Even a gap of a couple thousandths of an inch  between the cores can have
a drastic effect. At least the windings will cover  the gap. Plus you'll have
to hold the cores very tightly together. Vibration  between the two cores
will eventually wear away at the rough  sawn edges, and short all of the
laminations together at the gap. Cut (wound)  cores are cut very precisely and tightly
banded together.

>The core will be grounded to the

>white wire, and a tabs of sheet aluminum will be the 240 V  inputs.

    Should be grounded to the green wire for safety,  white/neutral
connection would be unnecessary.

 >I just don't know what the efficiency will be like, but  if logic serves
me, it should
>be good the the same wattage as two MOTS  (about 2kVA.)

    Your power throughput will still be limited by  the cross-sectional area
of the core, even if you're using roughly twice the  core metal. Using two
feet of skinny wire won't let it carry more current than  one foot of skinny wire
would. :)

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.