[TCML] Filtering

I'm asking if anyone can clarify the types of filtering used on a tesla
coil.  I have build a safety gap and set it up, but I've read that I
need more than just that.  A safety gap only protects the NST from high
voltage spikes, right?  Here are the terms that I've heard of, but
don't quite understand: ballast, choke, terry filter.  This may be a
big question, but "What do they do, how do they work, and do I need
one?"

I'm running my 9/30 NST with a safety gap and no variac.  I'm also
adding a strike rail.  Without any filtering, how likely is it that my
NST will fry when I fire up the coil?  Are there any cheap ways to
lower that risk?

Thanks

Nicholas Goble