Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

Hi Phillip,

As you mentioned, you may be low on L for the sparks your running on the coil and given the apartment walls and ceiling. Add a turn to the outside of the coil with scrap wire and see how it performs. If it does, you'll probably want to do something more permanent. If you get a chance to take the coil to a place with greater distance or outside, external C will change and you will end up tapping inward for those outdoor runs.

Take care,
Bart

Phillip Slawinski wrote:
I tried the 9x30 and 9x23 toroids today.  I ran the coil in my apartment for
a total of 30-60 seconds [several runs of a few seconds].  It seemed like
the performance increased a lot.  I was getting ground strikes at about
47".  Of course, it's impossible to really judge the performance running the
coil in the apartment.  I can't run it for long, and sadly [sorta :)] the
performance of my coil far excedes the clearance of the walls and ceiling.
None of my appliances were affected by the run fortunately, although the
smoke alarm did go off after some strikes hit the ceiling and wall.  It
almost seemed like I'm low on inductance.  I have the tap all the way at the
end of the primary, and if I tap it further in I lose performance.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Phillip Slawinski <pslawinski@xxxxxxxxx>