Re: [TCML] primary material? (interview)

Hey Nicholas...

20$ for 20 feet is an awesome price... The Home depots in New Orleans are selling 3/8" Cu tubing for ( sit down) 5.00$ PER FOOT !!! Yup 10' roll of 3/8 is 49.95$, 500 feet of THHN #10 is going for 120$ ( when I bought the rolls I needed for my ballast it was 25$ for a 500' roll....)

I wonder... do the makers of copper tubing use gasoline to produce it or does gasoline now have copper in it instead of lead?? ;)

Scot D

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:

I'm on the last component of my coil right now: the primary. I've done a few calculations and found myself needing about 40' of 1/4" copper tubing. I took a trip to Lowes and stumbled a little when I saw that the price was $20 for 20'. Maybe that seems about right, but I really don't want to spend that much. Any suggestions on how to find it cheaper? Are there any alternatives to using copper tubing? I've heard that some people use heavy wire or even magnet wire? Does that work well? What are my options?

Thanks for all your help.  Here's a funny story.

After obtaining my NST for free from a sign shop in Indianapolis (where I live), I decided to write a positive Angie's List post for the shop. This was about a month and a half ago. I was contacted this morning from a journalist for the monthly Angie's List magazine/journal. He wanted to ask me a few questions about why I'm building a coil and how. I haven't even completed building the thing yet! Anyways, he asked me if I got help or advice during construction, and I told him about TCML. Maybe we'll get mentioned in the Indianapolis area publishing.

Nicholas Goble