Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:07 AM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Spark gap assembly, acrylic?? and toroid size

I guess I wrote from a machinist's perspective. Very soft plastics like polyethylene cannot easily be machined to a high tolerance in the same manor as say Lexan or Delrin. It's not to say that it cannot be cut or drilled, just that it won't come out as nice. Tapping is also likely to be a problem.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Gary, when you say it does not machine well what exactly do you mean? In my
experience it is quite easy to machine.  Drilling through the stuff is a
breeze, certainly far easier than plexiglass.  It's also cheaper than
plexiglass.