RE: [TCML] Spark gap assembly, acrylic?? and toroid size

I just want to backup Gary statement "from a machinist perspective". Some
materials that are soft (gummy) are harder to machine to a nice finish.  I
have worked with a lot of titanium, and other aero-space metals, to me they
much easer to machine then regular 1020 steel.
Ti (6al4v) has a beautiful finish and does not tear and gouge  For a
non-machinist it could be almost impossible drilling and tapping some of
this it in the normal home shop with out knowing the material.

Rich , Kd0zz

As an act of plagiarism . Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling or facts are
transmission errors.

Subject: RE: [TCML] Spark gap assembly, acrylic?? and toroid size

I guess I wrote from a machinist's perspective.  Very soft plastics like
polyethylene cannot easily be machined to a high tolerance in the same manor
as say Lexan or Delrin.  It's not to say that it cannot be cut or drilled,
just that it won't come out as nice.  Tapping is also likely to be a
problem.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Gary, when you say it does not machine well what exactly do you mean?  In
my
> experience it is quite easy to machine.  Drilling through the stuff is a
> breeze, certainly far easier than plexiglass.  It's also cheaper than
> plexiglass.

<snip>

> > Lexan (trade name, same thing as polycarbonate) is clear and has the
best
> > characteristics for machining.  It doesn't crack, is stable, cuts and
> > threads easily, glues with many different glue types.  You may need to
go to
> > a plastics supplier to find it (yellow pages), though Home Depot sells
> > thinner sheets for shatterproof windows.
> >
> > Plexiglas (trade name, same thing as acrylic) is also clear, but is much
> > more difficult to machine.  Care must be exercised when cutting or
drilling
> > so it doesn't crack.  Glues nicely, more common and less expensive than
> > Lexan.  Home Depot sells this for windows but for thicker stock you may
need
> > to go to a plastics supplier.
> >
> > Polypropylene isn't commonly used for TC construction except as a
> > dielectric in commercial capacitors.
> >
> > Polyethylene is what the white plastic cutting boards are made of.  It's
> > relatively soft, does not machine well, and cannot easily be glued.
HDPE
> > stands for high density polyethelyne (milk jugs).  LDPE stands for low
> > density (plastic bags).

<snip>