Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Strike Rail Hits Was: Stacking vs Large Diameter

Hi David,

I've used my old primary on many coils and refitted it with inner turns as necessary (started big and then started building smaller coils). I was just thinking the Green Monster would look pretty cool with a small ribbon primary resonantly driving the secondary. Yes, the sparks do go where they want. But then, their going there for reason (because they can) ;-) . What I don't like is giving the coil "just enough power" to hit the primary. I have some extra turns and thus a little auto-transformer action occurring which I don't like. This seems to add to primary hits, but I'm not sure if it's the auto-transformer action or simply power. A smaller 4.5" coil I run can hit the primary as well all day long if I only give it just about enough juice to do so. But if I increase power enough, I rarely hit the primary. I can also reduce power and achieve the same thing of course (but that's no fun).

I think some coils will hit the primary quite often and some won't. Some coils are geared up just enough to do so and no more. Sparks start in the horizontal center of the toroid as we all know. It always starts out horizontal (or say emitting directly outward from it's origin). After the spark begins it's length increase, then it begins to bend. With higher power, it seems that initial thrust outward heads out far enough to stay away from the primary or whatever. But with just the right power, it can bend right down and then there's the primary or strike ring willing and ready to accept the connection. The spark "should" actually head upward due to heating. And at first it does, but then the fields overtake the heating affect and drive the spark downward as the spark progresses further from it's origin. Easy to see in just about everyone's spark photo's (from big coil to little coil).

As coilers start increasing power to attain longer sparks, they eventually cross the primary strike bridge. Coilers may wonder why (did they do something wrong, did tuning go south, what happened?). Well, they simply reached that threshold. It's time to boost power further to get over the hurtle (or reduce power, or even maybe change the top load height and/or size).

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Bart,

Cameron Prince uses a flat ribbon primay design
for his primary on his big coil, too. It would have
been easier for me to employ the flat ribbon if I
had started the design with a flat ribbon primary to begin with, as "retroing" from a copper tube
design back to a flat ribbon design would pret-
ty much require a complete dismantle and reas-
sembly of the system. It's funny too, because sometimes I can hurl multiple streamers for a minute or so non-stop without hardly a single primary primary strike and then the
next 30 seconds the streamers may hit the
primary area 30% of the time! They seem to
do what they want to do ;^)

David Rieben