[TCML] Spark gap assembly, acrylic?? and toroid size

I'm nearing the end of construction (for now) and I have 4 questions.

1) Has anyone tried to build the spark gap described on this page?

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv-old/misc/scotsgap/index.html
How do you think it will work?  It looks fun to build.

2) I know I'm not supposed to mount stuff (MMC, spark gap, primary coil) on
wood because it contains moisture (right?).  So I've been told that I should
use many different plastics such as perf board, HDPE, Lexan, PVC, plain old
cutting board, acrylic, polycarbonate, and polypropylene.  That's all a
little overwhelming!  Is there a difference, what should I use, and where
can I find it?

3) This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find any thing
definitive.  How big should my toroid be?  I'm planning on using aluminum
ducting and pie pans.  I've got a 9/30 NST and a 20" tall 4.5" diameter
secondary.

4) Is it possible to add another primary under an already existing one and
attach it to a different primary circuit?  Would that double the output?
Maybe I'm describing a magnifier.  I'm not sure.

Thanks

John Matok