Re: [TCML] Strike Rail Hits Was: Stacking vs Large Diameter

Hi Finn,

Interesting. I remember this. Never did realize that the primary was hung in the slots however. For what I have in mind, the primary will have about 3 inches of clearance from the bottom side, so tapping shouldn't be a problem (my secondary 1st turn is about 4" above the base).

Thanks for sharing this,
Bart

Finn Hammer wrote:
bartb skrev:

I've gone through some pics of ribbon primary construction, and of all I've seen, a simple standoff like what Bill used seems to be the best solution in my book.

Or- in the case that you would like to have uncluttered access to the coil from the bottom, which makes it so much easier to move the move the tapping point- and provides the added bonus of enabling the tap wire to go into the center of the coil. (The benefit of this is, that when you move the tapping point, it is only in the coil that the inductance changes) Look here for standoff details:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/ambassador/primary/primary.htm

This method was also used on the Museum coil seen here:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm

Cheers, Finn Hammer