Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction

Where are you connecting the PFC capacitors and what value are you using? The PFC caps should connect to the 120VAC input connections of the transformer. If connected properly, the capacitance makes absolutely no difference to the current in the transformer.

For the trial and error method follow these steps:
1.  connect an amp meter between the variac and the NST input.
2. Power on the system and measure the current at some voltage near the expected operating voltage. 3. Connect a PFC capacitor smaller than the expected value and measure the current. If the capacitance is lower than the correct value, the current should be a bit lower. 4. Continue adding capacitors until the current starts to rise again. The best value is the value that had the lowest current reading.

The best way to select the best PFC capacitance would be to use a current transformer or current probe and an oscilloscope. Connect the current transformer output to one channel of the scope and connect a probe to the HOT wire of the AC. If you were to connect a light bulb to a current transformer, you would find that the voltage and current waveforms are in phase with each other with their zero crossings at the same time. If you connect an inductive load, you would find that the zero crossings are skewed from each other. By following the basic procedure above, the correct value is when the zero crossings are together again.

I have made a couple current transformer setups where the transformer is mounted in a basic square electrical box with a standard line cord, an outlet, and a BNC output connector to connect to a scope. I have calibrated them to show one Volt AC per Amp of current. Other input/output ratios are easily made.

It is also very interesting watching the waveforms of various pieces of equipment. It can be a fun toy.

If anyone is interested, I could show some photos and give some plans. For a nominal price, I could also make and calibrate some transformers. I could even provide a complete setup as I have described. I will post a couple photos later. I have a few things to accomplish this afternoon before I can "play".

Skip