RE: [TCML] RF GROUND

Hi Fritz,

Electrically there is no issue with using steel vs. copper.  One might argue that steel has a higher resistance, but a difference of a couple of Ohms is just not significant.

I would have to wonder however, just how much does a solid steel rod so thick and so long weigh?  Also, being subject to rust, one would need a very aggressive clamp to connect the cable to the rod to be sure that it makes good contact.

In the US, copper-plated 8 foot long, 5/8" diameter solid steel rods are sold specifically for use as ground rods.  This is what is typically used.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA