Re: [TCML] My woeful RF ground experiments and lots of questions.

Hey Jeremy...

see comments in your text...

Jeremy Scott wrote:

Hi all,

So I tried pounding a short section of copper pipe into the dirt outside of my garage. It didn't go so well, my 'soil' is mostly clay with lots of large rocks. There's just no way I'm going to get anything more than a foot into the ground without augering a huge hole first and the only places that would be acceptable to do that are far away from where I'd be running a coil. In my garage, I have a cold water faucet. The copper pipe for this runs about 20 feet from the faucet before entering the concrete foundation of my house. About five feet or so from where the pipe goes into the foundation, the green ground wire to the fuse box (a few feet away) is tied in.

What am I risking if I connect the coil's RF ground to the faucet in
the garage? I am guessing that the path of least resistance seems to be straight to the pipes in ground and presumably not through the ground wire into the fuse box and connected appliances, although I could be wrong.
since the pipe is in contact with the house ground, it would be the same as hooking your RF ground to the ground on a recepticle ...not a good idea. Wire usually has a lower resistance than earth/concrete.

Most of my 'sensitive' electronics like the TV and computers are all on surge protected battery operated UPS units -- I'm not so worried about frying electronics as I am the risk of electrocution.

Most of the surge protectors are designed for power line surges not hi volt RF range stuff. Good chance you will loose the protector and maybe even the electronics if it arcs internally in the protector.

Could I put an RF choke on that ground wire? What about simply disconnecting the AC ground wire while the coil is running? Should I bite the bullet and tear up the yard and make a nice ground?
Seems that would defeat the purpose of having an RF ground.... Unhooking the A/C ground is an option as long as no one uses anything in the A/C system... dont want anyone getting hurt if something shorts out on the house circuit.

Instead of tearing up the yard, consider hooking a garden hose to the pipe ( RF ground pipe) and "wash" the clay/rocks aside as the pipe is pushed into the ground.

Are there any easier ways of making an RF ground that don't involve
pounding rods into solid clay?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeremy