Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

I believe Ed Sonderman put the cylinder between the toroids to add a little contribution to capacitance. However, I've never looked at that aspect since Javatc had the capability to decipher it. Ok, well, I took a whole 30 seconds of my life and looked at it.

I used the default coil in Javatc (default toroid dimensions are 6.25" x 21").
Ctoroid = 23.286pF

I then inserted a second toroid 14 inches above the original (same toroid geometry): A dual stack with 14" separation center to center.
Ctoroid = 34.397 pF

I then inserted a cylinder with a diameter equal to the outer radius of the toroids with top and bottom cylinder ends at each toroids center line.
Ctoroid = 36.072 pF ( Yipes! Not a big change, is it?).

Well, capacitive contribution of the cylinder is minimal. I doubt it made a big difference after that analysis. The coil probably would have done just as well with out it. For what it's worth, lets look at the top toroid simply sitting on the bottom of the first toroid: Ctoroid = 29.183pF (big difference from the 34.397 pF due to the 14" separation).

Clearly, the toroid at 14" above hit nearly 34.5pF. Ok, good for identical toroids stacked with a decent distance apart. Let us look at a single "larger" toroid, and I'll only increase it by 25% in both minor and major diameters (7.8125" x 26.25").
Ctoroid = 31.051 pF (Nice increase for only a single toroid).

Now, I increase the original by only 50% (9.375" x 31.5"): Oh yea, that toroid rocks!
Ctoroid = 39.325 pF

Certainly beat out the dual stack. Only 50% increase with a single toroid and I've certainly beaten the dual stack even at 14" separation! So, why the need for dual, triple, etc.? No real need, more convenience and mechanical in nature. If you have them on hand, use them. If you just happen to have a nice 10" x 32" toroid lying around, then use it!

Take care,
Bart