Re: [TCML] Pig safety gaps - was Winding the primary

Hi Gary,

Yes, you may be correct about it striking the primary
as well. I just happened to actually see the streamer
attach to the lower end of the secondary and to the
best of my memory, that was about the time that the
output quickly went to zero. It has been about 3 1/2
years ago (Jan, '05 I believe). It was after the arres-
ter died that I resurrected the idea of using a stationary
safety gap again and tried the horn gap this time and
even had a fan aimed across it for forced air extinguish-
ment if it power arced. This didn't work out so well
either though because when the safety gap did fire, the
air currents would actually try to "suck" the plasma
flames back into the fan but not extinguish it! I gave up
on this idea once and for all after this and found another
distribution arrester on ebay (this one rated at 36 kV-
yea, I know maybe a bit steep for a 14.4 kV pig) but
haven't had any more problems since. I think even a
36 kV rating would still protect the pig though as it's
biL rating is 110 kV.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:24 AM
Subject: [TCML] Pig safety gaps - was Winding the primary

Hi David,

Correct - I no longer use a strike ring.

I'm curious how a streamer striking your secondary could have caused primary-side damage. I would guess that it must have also struck the primary, causing the arrestor to avalanche, and with the current of the charged cap (or maybe just the pig secondary) behind it, smoked the arrestor.

That's an interesting report that normal safety gaps don't extinguish with a pig driving it! I'm surprised that this hasn't come up before. Sounds like the standard practice of using drawer knob electrodes (?) doesn't cut it in your application! Have you tried a horn gap? Sorry, but I have no experience at that power level.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA