Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 12:11 PM
Subject: [TCML] JavaTC Tuning Suggestion

I did a lot of testing with my TC this past weekend.  One of the things I
did this weekend was increase my top load.  I resized my 6x18" toroid to
6x21". This toroid is stacked below my 7x23" toroid. When it came time to re-tune the coil I just did it experimentally. To me performance seemed to increase as I added more primary inductance. I had the tap at the very end
of my primary by the end of my testing.  I just updated my model in JavaTC
and run the numbers today and it's telling me that I should tap 2 turns
closer to the center than I had this weekend.  I tried tapping it around
where JavaTC suggests this weekend and the performance did not seem to be as
good as driving it with as much inductance as I could get out of the
primary. When I ran it near where JavaTC suggests the discharge woudl break
out in multiple small streamers.  When I ran the coil with the tap all the
way at the end of the primary I would get a single breakout that went up to
56".

I'm fairly certain the numbers I've put into JavaTC are correct.  They
haven't been wrong in the past.  Was I running the coil out of tune, or is
there something I could be missing?