Re: [TCML] SISG DOPE?

In a message dated 7/5/08 5:24:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
evp@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Need maybe 3 kV breakdown and capacitor is only 0.004 ufd so peak

>current won't be too high.

    At only 4kV, you could use just one of Mark  Dunn's SISG-4 boards. Maybe
even use the cheap 270V SIDACs that they've been  selling on eBay (since
everybody is out of stock on the 300V ones until  August).
    I modeled your coil from what you have posted  here in the past. At only
3kV on 4nF, I suspect you're getting less than 12"  arcs? Perfectly fine for
tabletop experimentation, but primary current will be  so low (~50A peak, ~2A
RMS) that you could use *much* cheaper IGBTs than  the ones we've been abusing
and they'll stay ice-cold without a fan. For that  matter, you could probably
save a few bucks by going to smaller  heatsinks as well. Heck, you might end
up running the IGBTs *within* their  design parameters!
    Make sure your rectifier is plenty tough.

>Where is the appropriate information  archived?

Have you checked the archives? ;)

    _www.pupman.com_ (http://www.pupman.com)

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities