Re: [TCML] Poly thickness

Hi David,

Ok, I agree with all but the distributed C. Maybe I don't
understand the terminology of the term "distributed capa-
citance" but I always assumed that it referred to the capa-
citance of what is formed by the dielectric qualities of the
wire's insulation between each adjacent winding (and the air, which would significantly reduce the this distributed C, especially with a space wound coil, wouldn't it?) Now I'm confused because I seem to remember hearing the idea that the distributed C was INCREASED by close winding the secondary coil (and that was supposed to be a bad thing),
which seems backwards now that I think about it. It seems
the distrbuted C would be dramatically reduced by space winding the secondary coil, since you are in effect incresing the dielectric thickness and also dropping the dielectric constant by adding more air (which has a dielectric K of 1) to the dielectric Isn't the C of a dielectric system determined by C = K(.2249 x A/T) Where K is the dielectric constant, A is the dielectric area, in sq. ins.,
and T is the dielectric thickness in inches, and C is in uFd? Help :^/
By distributed C I'm referring to the resonator capacitance distributed throughout the coil and affected by both internal and external bodies and their relative positions. In other words, the total capacitance of the resonator at resonance.

The coil is still the same diameter, length, proximity to top load, ground, other external objects. The only thing that has changed is the internal turns and space between turns. It's basically the plate area has been reduced but the area between plates has increased (decrease plate area decreases C, but increased area between plates increases C). In this situation, it balances out (half of plate area, twice the space). What changes is the inductance by a factor 4.

Even using Medhurst where C=KxD: D is diameter (which didn't change) and K is based on h/d (which didn't change). You arrive at the same. You could measure L, measure Fr, back calc C for both coils as described. You'll end up the same, but it's easier to just model it, and the model shows no change, but if you consider the wire and the spacing, it makes sense.

I see "zero" benefit to spacewound coils.

Take care,
Bart