Re: [TCML] magnet wire

-----Original Message-----

Since a big part of the cost of the wire is the cost of the copper used to make it, and the price of copper varies quite a bit, it's perfectly reasonable to get better or worse prices from various vendors at various times, particularly at retail.  There was a time when Lowes was selling AWG12 house wire amazingly cheaply, because they had bought a huge amount, then the price of copper went up, but they were selling it at a price based on the amount they paid.

Someone who is a small resale sort of operation might buy several hundred pounds of wire, set their prices accordingly, and sell small quantities for quite a while before going out and buying another big batch.

While buying direct from the mfr is nice (you have good quality control and handling), a lot of times, there will be a minimum order that's fairly large.  1000 ft of wire, for instance, is an order much too small for a big distributor to handle.  Their order processing costs will probably be larger than the cost of the wire.