[TCML] PC boards

Hey all,
     A tiny bit off topic but still useful for some of us to know, I
have come across a need to make a printed circuit board, my research
tells me that I need a program to make a design, and then I need to
print it on a transparent sheet, and use a iron to adhere the image
and....  This is too complicated, the board will have like 5 or 6 parts,
can I just "draw" the paths I want by hand with something like
fingernail polish (or a sharpie marker), on a copper clad board, and
etch the copper away with ferric chloride?  That would be ideal.  You
may respond off list if you so desire.

Scott Bogard.