Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] pole pig question

Hi Greg,

what brand of resistor were you using to test your
equipment with?  The 3 I tried all arced over to nearly 1/2 the length of
the resistor when I used them to do tests.

Scot D'

What tests are you talking about/ I've used resistors like that for over 60 years and never saw such a phenomenon. Although they have some inductance its reactance is negligible compared to the resistance at any frequency I can image. I can imagine that if you charged a capacitor to a sufficiently high voltage and discharged it into the resistor you might get some effect like that but why do it?

Ed