RE: [TCML] pole pig question

Perhaps I missed something, but why is a 1 KOhm value being discussed?  If it's to be used as a dummy load for a distribution transformer, such a low resistance value would, *if it could*, draw over 14 Amps.  While I doubt that the high side of a distribution transformer could source 14 Amps, it is not a current limited transformer, and even if it managed to eek out more than 1 Amp, it would exceed the power rating of the 1kW resistor, and smoke it.  Whether the smoke is due to over current or over voltage is difficult to predict and academic.

I guess more to the point, why is a dummy load for a distribution transformer even being considered?  I would guess that it's rare that the transformer is faulty, and a lashed-up Jacobs's ladder should be adequate evidence of its functionality.  A proper full-power dummy load resistor for a distribution transformer would be HUGE.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA