RE: Re[TCML] NST rebuild good

If I go back to the original post, you're using a .033uF cap with a rebuilt and deshunted 15/120 NST and a 120BPS sync RSG.  The problem is that the capacitor is much too small for this configuration, resulting in the cap charging to a too-high voltage and self destruction and safety gap firing.  With a static gap, if the cap is too small, the only consequence is that the gap fires more often but at a safe voltage determined by the gap width.  With a SRSG, the cap is free to charge as high as it cares to; it's up to you to choose a value that limits it to a safe voltage.  With my 15/60 NST and SRSG, I've found that a .04uF cap is optimum, so you could go at least 2-3X larger and maybe more considering the deshunting.

The calculation of the max voltage based on the applied 80VAC isn't at all that simple.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA