From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of neal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:14 PM
To: tesla list
Subject: [TCML] mot questions

Could someone please tell me what to do with the "extra" windings on mots? I
think these are called the filament winding, or something like that, they're
just a couple turns. I was finally going through my accumulation of mots,
and
not being sure, I went ahead and jumpered these windings at first. When I
shut
it down and went to remove the jumper I realized that it got hot. VERY hot.
So,
what do I do with them; leave them shorted together, cut off the excess or
try
to remove it completely if possible?

Also, (going back to my previous questions re: ballasting)I plugged in my
mots
to my variac (22 amp rating)and installed an inline amp meter. With a setup
like this, is ballasting still an issue? Doesn't the variac, itself, act as
ballast as long as I watch so that my amps don't go too high?

Thank you all for your continued help!

Neal.