Re: [TCML] Subject: Overheated Secondary

Bart,

    I'm confused on one point here. So please bear with  me:

In a message dated 1/5/08 4:06:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>If I used a .075uF cap size at 120 bps in say an SRSG setup: =  6.48j x
120bps = 778W.

>If I used a .019uF cap size at 120 bps is say an SRSG setup: =  2.13j x
120bps = 256W.

    OK, fine.

>For spark length, I use the following:

>Spark Length (inches) = sqrt(VA) + (sqrt(eJ x BPS x 1.263) x .75),  (.75 is
as a loss factor).

Is this "VA" the nominal open-circuit voltage  times the nominal
short-circuit current of the power supply?
    If so, why would this matter (past a certain  point with a SRSG, or past
another point with a RSG)? If I plug my  primary into the local overhead power
line, neither the bang energy nor the  BPS will be any different than if I
use, say, a PT. And even then, once we get  a big enough power supply that is
1:1 "resonant" with the primary cap,  how much more gain is to be had?
    But from your equation, using a power supply with  100 times a
"reasonable" VA rating would always yield a significant  *multiplication* of spark
length.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities