Re: [TCML] Speakers - was: Terry filters (speaker/motor load modeling)

On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:44 PM, David Rieben wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: <FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Speakers - was: Terry filters (speaker/motor load modeling)

Sorry to get a little OT here, but has anyone else heard this "story"?

Well, now that I typed all this, I figured we might as well find out. I'm just dumb enough to try something like this, and in a position to do so: I just took a single 901 speaker, Series V, 1983 vintage, downstairs to the garage. Donned safety goggles and *earmuffs*. I plugged it directly into the wall. No ballast, no variac, no switch, no nothing! Twice in a row for five seconds each time. No smoke, no smell, and a good clean 60 Hz sound with no indications of clipping. Lights dimmed very significantly. VERY loud. My
wife upstairs said it vibrated the whole house.

Wow, Phil, that is DELIGHTFUL! I was never a big fan of the 901 "sound", but I
admire bullet-proof stuff.

- G.