Re: [TCML] X-rays

>Since the subject has come up, I realize the x-rays generally are largely
>formed in a vacuum; but, what about say a 150KV flaming Jacob's ladder (ac).
>Controlled x-rays are generally are DC driven as well but that is for a
>controlled anode/cathode. Are there other less obvious sources of X-rays
>from some of our higher voltage/energy experiments? High Potential
>Ionization is the issue yes? What about outside a vacuum?
     My understanding was that
        High voltage
         To accelerate
          Electrons into
           metallic target
     were ALL necessary.
     typically 5kvish and over, in vaccuum, eg the old 1B3 rectfier,
     and equivalent, higher voltage for colour sets, carried warning
     language in the manuals.

     I've seen the 'tin foil on old tube' trick described, guess it
     works, admit unclarity on the physics.

>I would not want to inadvertently expose onlookers to such dangers.
     Concur.  My impression is that generation, and ranges, outside
     vacuum, for 'incidental emitters' is low.

...male...fresh sperm...
     OK, the next generation may be safe, however various early
     experimenters with srays learnt the hard way that they
     themselves were damaged.

(yes:  low doses of XRays are tolerable, some publick concern is
 overstated: however the risks Are Real.

best
 dwp