Re: Strange Blue Glows Re: [TCML] Energy accumulation on TC.

Ok, It looks like those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.

First, it looks like Phil used a Sodium vapor lamp, HPS (High Pressure Sodium), which you cannot compare with a regular lamp in this case. The arcs would have ionized the sodium vapor to cause the residual glow and also would cause different effects compared to a "regular" lamp.

Modern light bulbs are usually back filled with trace amounts of Krypton. This serves a couple purposes, it makes the lamp last longer and gives a brighter light. If you can find a large diameter clear light bulb, a 4" decorator, or a 200-300 W Mogul, both of which are almost impossible to find, you can make a nice plasma type display with a small TC or flyback circuit. Because these lamps are back filled, it is very hard to get X rays out of them. Gas in the lamp or radio tube prevents the energy level from getting high enough to emit X rays. IE, the gas turns the tube or lamp into a voltage regulator.

Now, if you get a clear lamp made before 1960, these usually had a hard vacuum and you can see the green fluorescence when excited with a Tesla coil. I say usually as some of the lamps were back filled with nitrogen to extend the life of the lamp. Same with a radio tube, in fact I have an article on how to make an X ray using an '01A tube and a homemade Oudin coil which some members requested a copy of. The selection of tube is important as you do not want a detector or gas filled type. Tesla had a single ended X ray tube he made and using a lamp is exactly the same thing.
I have a replica of his tube and it works quite well.

There are also a couple differences with lamps today as well. HPS or LPS, Mercury arc and Halogen lamps are usually constructed with boro silicate (Pyrex) or Quartz envelopes to handle the hotter operating temperatures. Soft or soda glass is used in "regular" light bulbs and radio tubes and will fluoresce green while Pyrex type glass will fluoresce blue.
I do not know if quartz will fluoresce.

Small light bulbs will give a green glow excited with a TC, indicating X ray are given off. Keep in mind, the radiation is not in a focused beam as generated in a X ray tube and it would take hrs or days of constant exposure and close range before serious health threats could possibly become a concern. Just stay clear of the end of the bulb opposite the power in.

The shadow effect some members report as classic effects that were seen with Crookes Maltese Cross tubes. There would be a shadow in the glass of the cross shape when the tube was energized and the cross could be flipped down and the shadow could still be seen for a short time. It demonstrated persistence in the glass. This design was the first X ray tube as used by Roentgen and rapidly modified into a focused design by Jackson for better performance. They found the cross tube was too diffused to be an effective X ray source and exposures took too long. The Jackson focused tube concentrated the beam and made it into a workable X ray tube and this basic design is still in use today for modern tubes.

It is a neat effect on a larger TC BUT I would strongly suggest using a regular incandescent lamp instead of HPS, LPS or Mercury vapor lamps as they can explode with dramatic effects. That is why they usually have a double envelope.
A regular lamp can implode too so use eye protection as a minimum!

If you can find a large searchlight lamp in the 50,000 candle power range, a nice display can be made. If you live costal, talk to the coast guard and ask for old lamps from light houses. Elsewhere, ask the FAA for old lamps from their rotating beacon aircraft warning lamps or a radio station for aircraft warning lamps from their antennas.

If you want a plasma effect, us a gas filled tube as these will not produce X rays. You can also demonstrate a very interesting effect Tesla mentions by bringing a needle point discharger up to the envelope of the lamp and turn the TC on (works only with small TC's). The lamp will show the discharge effect in a vacuum and then a hole will be burned thru the glass, yet the bulb still maintains a vacuum as long as the power is on until the hole enlarges or the envelope shatters!!!

Frank