Re: [TCML] Tesla coil EM Gauss readings

Jim Lux wrote:

Only if the model is of sufficient fidelity. For a TC running out in the open with nothing near it, it's pretty easy to have a very accurate model (as Terry says, the model will be more accurate than the measurements).

But, if you start to ask questions about things like induced currents in objects or people in the vicinity, modeling those objects gets to be a challenge, and measurements are nice.

Also, if you are concerned about regulatory compliance, they're going to want to see measurements.

Even the freebee demo of Ansoft's stuff can model a bag of Jello in all the fields too... You can spend a lot of time measuring and defining and put say a "dog" in there too... But unless it is ferromagnetic, it is invisible to "magnetic" fields in any case.... You are just not going to induce substantial currents in far "Jello" objects that can match up to the primary currents... Just not enough hard "current loop" there... Just look at the top torroid's nil effect on the primary...

I am not sure what the original poster wanted to do. But if he wants to dive in hard, there are a ton of hard a** tools out there just waiting to be grabbed :D I don't think Chris really wanted a "meter". I think he wanted to "see" a concept. Why spend time wiring together a "fuse" when you can just see the whole system that made it vaporize in the first place :D

If he is trying to met a "regulatory compliance" issue for Tesla Coils. I can wire together a meter to display "Dude! You are SOooo totally DOOMED" easily enough :D "They" bring their own equipment...

Terry