Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Hi All,

With this thread, measuring static gap bps came up. I will attempt this. I can record hours of run time if needed, but of course I'll record say a 10 minute run. This should give plenty of data for bps acquisition.

I'll use a device specifically for data acquisition. This device plugs into my pc via shielded USB and can accept up to 60Vp-p signals. Although I do have the high speed unit capable of 14,400 samples/s, I'll set the sample rate only to what is needed for a decent view. The device however doesn't need to be near the coil (USB's are very prone to noise which causes device hardware connections to be lost). So, I'm thinking of using optics for isolation.

Here is my very simple strategy:
* Hook up fiber cable near first gap to capture the light created by the spark (where it will always issue).
* Convert light to DCV at opposite end.
* Record voltage output over 10 minute run.

Although I may go further with this, I'm just looking at getting the bps data with the gap as is to start.
This is only to measure bps and nothing more.

I've used this device for acceleration impact testing up to 1050 LB load dropped at various heights and even for a 2 week non-stopped testing of cycle times on actuation devices.

But, I thought it wise to run by the TCML and see if anyone has tried anything like this with a static gap or similar and has any advice I should consider before I start. I'm not sure how the light source will stop and start at the gap.

Take care,
Bart