RE: [TCML] Spark gap comparisons

Hi Bart, John, and others,

I think the type of gap used depends a lot on the individual coil.  I've seen coils operate perfectly with gaps that
were not always logical.  One coil I have uses a 1000V power transformer rated at 1500 mA with a .60 mfd mica cap.
It uses only a single 1/4" diameter tungsten gap with copper-finned heatsinks.  How it functions at all is beyond me, but
it does a fine job!

At the same time I have coils that use 3000V 150mA transformers and .01 mfd mica caps that would not even think about
working properly without at least a 2 or 3-series spark gap of 3/8" diameter tungsten.

I have a rotary spark gap and a half dozen static spark gaps just for testing each coil I make.  Its interesting just to compare
results.   Sometimes several will work well, and other times one gap will tend to work better than the rest.

Jeff Behary