From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 9:29 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Hi Rich,

Rotary gaps can process greater power than static gaps (unless you build
a garbage rotary [and I've built at least 3 of those in the past]). But,
the line between the two is dependent on the power capability of the
static gap. As long as the static gap can process the power efficiently,
there is no performance increase. However, as you increase power, there
is a point where the static gap will degrade. Then, a rotary is
certainly the way to go and even rotary gaps have their limitations
based on their components.

For example, my rotary on Electrum would melt in a few seconds. But at
10 to 15 kva on my coils works fine.

In my opinion, build good static gaps and good rotary gaps to handle the
power. I think we all play with both types along our coiling experience.
The propeller gap is neat in that it is an easy way to build a rotary.
Just use good electrodes like tungsten. The larger the better. Price
increases with size. HP increase with size also.

But static gaps can be built to perform well also. I have a nice
G10/pure tungsten rotary but I don't use it on my smaller coil which
runs about 3 kva. The reason I don't is that my static gap does the job
just fine. If it didn't, I would hook up a rotary gap.

Let your coil decide what type of gap to build. How much power are you
planning to run?

Take care,
Bart