Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Henry -

This sounds plausible, but do you have any actual data (scope waveforms, etc) that would support the claim of better quenching from a "propeller gap" vs a conventional static spark gap?

The data would have to be generated from a test setup where the only variable was the substitution of the two different types of gaps.

If you have data, could you share it with the List?

Regards,
Scott Hanson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Henry Hallam" <hallam@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:42 PM

Among other things, the propeller gap is better at quenching (shutting off the spark), especially at high power.

Henry

Rich Schmuke wrote:
I am going to ask a simple question but please give a simple answer. I am not a EE just a builder. I was asking about a rotor gap the other day and it was suggested I try a propeller gap for my 200ma coil. Well I have a motor from a 8" hard drive now and am going to build a mount as soon as it is warm
enough to get to my shed. My question is why is a propeller at 3600 RPM
better than a RQ copper tube gap? 60 cycle RQ vs a 3600RPM it's the same
break rate I think.

Rich