Re: [TCML] Clarification sought on transformers

4) If you shake it, it should not rattle. Slightly chipped insulators are probably OK, cracked ones are not."

	I think Matt is overstating this one.  I have a couple of NST's I picked out of the bushes by a freeway on ramp.  Obviously had fallen off the back of a flatbed truck and bounced across the pavement on the insulators, not much of which remained and I removed them completely.  I replaced them with plastic ones and the transformers have worked fine for years.     I wouldn't pick ones with beat up insulators if better were available but don't look down your nose at them if that's all you can find.

Ed