RE: [TCML] 30 Watt Tesla Coil References...

> Thanks - hadn't seen that Electrical Experimenter article before. I've always been interested in the great variety of these neat little coils he seems to have produced [wonder how much time and $ each one cost?] and glad to see this written description. Tesla [or maybe his patent attorneys?] sure seems to have liked the words "Circuit Controllers" as he patented enough very different devices under that general title.
Ed -
You'll find many of those "Circuit Controllers" in the photos of that article.  Each "Circuit Controller" is in a fact a different style of Tesla
Coil to a certain extent.  Just like some spark gaps work better for certain circuits than others do.
Some of the innerworkings are just amazing.  There is one, perhaps the last filed, which is a set of rotating jets shooting mercury at
sets of stationary jets, also shooting mercury.  The break rate is over 10,000 BPS, and the whole thing is incredible how compact it is!
Several of those "circuit controllers" could handle up to 25 amps!

When you search those classes of patents, you find hundreds and hundreds.  The earliest designs were Tesla, Thomson, and Kinraide.  They are all a great read.   All three men worked at incredible speeds, but Tesla was producing some seriously complicated and laborious apparatus.  Not only were they motor-driven, but they often didn't have external motors.  The interrupter was in itself a high speed motor!  And to compicate more, Tesla did a lot of clever tricks on top of it all, like using mercury in place of frictional brushes/etc...
He had a way of taking a heavy cast iron cylinder filled with mercury and making it spin effortlessly, and efficiently!

> Based on what I've been able to find and read that last paragraph pretty well sums up the two different kinds of stuff Tesla put out. His lectures and his written descriptions of real apparatus and its functioning are beautiful prose and very clear and easy to understand. His extravagent statements for the general public seem to fall in a totally different category and are the source of much of the nonsense and myth floating around and invoking the name Tesla. That same tendency seems to be with us still!!!!!> > Ed
Unfortunately, I know what you mean!