From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Scott Bogard
Sent: Mon 2/18/2008 3:45 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] RE: Just starting out...

Steve,
     As scary as this may sound, you do not need explicit plans, in fact
I would advise against it.  Being someone who built my first coil
without the lists help I can tell you, you will learn the most and spend
the least if you make your own plans, built around the materials you can
get cheaply.  If you are worried about not having enough electrical
experience, don't, The only experience I had when I started collecting
the components for my first coil was an LED flashlight.  No kidding.
The best thing for you to do is research spark gap coils, and build one
of those first.  You will get bigger sparks for less money and power
input, and there is only like 5 parts.  If you are scared by this
notion, ask Dr. Resonance for his M-5 plans, very easy and a pretty good
performer, and I think he stocks all the parts.  I still would advise
doing a lot of research before you start building, you can look at my
website for TC theory for a brief overview, but if you want to really
dig in you should look at Richie Burnett's webpage.
http://bogard.110mb.com/TeslaCoil.htm
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml
Don't copy my coil designs, they are not ideal, you would be better off
modifying Dr. R's plans to suit the materials you can get easily.  You
should also know there are good programs out there to assist in the coil
design process if you are not one who likes to punch numbers.  Best of luck.

Scott Bogard.