Re: [TCML] c/w multiplier coil

Firstly, never directly short a multiplier. You are short circuiting the caps through the diodes and they die. Use a series resistance to limit it. Secondly, when running a multiplier in to an inductive load there will be a resonance with the caps and inductance. After the first half cycle the multiplier will be feeding into not only a short circuit but an equivalent voltage in the REVERSE direction resulting in a huge current and the diodes die. Ie a 10kV multiplier will face a 20kV short circuit. I have seen more than one person seem surprised when they blow multipliers because they don't realise the above 2 points. I built a 4 stage single MOT multiplier yesterday which runs about 70mA 8kV DC referenced to earth ie 560W. It is 12kV open circuit. This is a lot more than an NST (even a 15/60) which would only manage open circuit 7.5 X 1.4 = 10.5kV no load referenced to earth and guessing about 7.5kV under 40mA (300W) load rectified. I use a 50 or 100K 200W resistor as a load or part of that as a series resistor if I want to pull some arcs. Works nicely for short runs.

Peter
www.tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clive Hansen" <mrclivehansen@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello Everyone,
Some time ago I built a Crockroft-Walton multiplier to quintuple the voltage of a power supply for use with a small coil. Recently, the multiplier was hissing and losing a lot of power to corona. So, I decided to operate it under oil in a coffee can since it is a small multiplier. I sunk the whole multiplier in a coffee can filled with motor oil. The can is metal, but the components are all at least 3/4 inches from the sides. The assembly worked exceptionally the first several times I ran it. However, when I power it up now, there are no sparks from the coil. Directly shorting the multiplier yields only 2-3mm long sparks which are very faint, whereas before it would produce 1.5in sparks when shorted. Also, when powered on, the transformer makes an odd clicking noise which I did not notice before. Does anybody know what the problem is here?

Thanks,
Clive