Re: engineers and scientists was [TCML] Wireless Transmission Theory

Ed Phillips wrote:
Hi Bill,

Most engineers I've encountered are not like that in any way. They are about physics and they will look at the world through the eyes of our physical universe and not limit themselves to "any" theory. I of course have met a few engineers stuck in their ways and nothing was going to change them. But most are not like that. Don't stereotype engineers. There are both engineers and physicist set in their ways and there are both engineers and physicist with a brain to look further.

I figure I'll throw my words in before Chip kills this off.

In my annual "career day" talk at my kid's schools I talk about what being an engineer is like.. and how engineers differ from scientists. This is something I get to observe every day at work (JPL) and which interestingly, was also commented on by Steve Squyres in his book about the Mars Rovers.

Obviously, it's not a Manichean thing with one or the other, more of a continuum, but a bimodal one.

However.. Scientists are driven by wanting to understand. Engineers are driven by wanting to do. The classic scientist might do experiments to better understand, but the goal is the understanding, not the doing the experiments. The engineer strives to do something, typically requiring some understanding, but there are lots of engineers who work totally empirically. Although, to me, what made engineering engineering (around the time of the Renaissance) was the change from doing it as a craft (do what worked before) was the use of a theoretical model to guide what you do next. For instance, I'm pretty impressed by what Roman engineers did 2000 years ago (aqueducts, bridges, the Pantheon), but I'm not totally convinced it was engineering in the modern sense. It might have been how medieval cathedrals were built.. a collection of practical guidelines arrived at over many years of trial and error, without an understanding of why it works the way it does.

Consider, for instance, building an aqueduct like the Pont du Gard. Sure, the Romans were able to achieve amazing feats of controlling the grade and roughness to get the water flow to work right. But, did they do this by applying experience (empiricism), essentially relying on trial and error. Or, did they understand hydraulics, and have some theoretical basis for knowing why to choose a particular slope, roughness, and channel width, from first principles.

Likewise, consider the Pantheon in Rome: it's the largest self supporting dome in the world until Brunelleschi built the Duomo in Florence some 1500 years later. And it's still standing. An amazing feat, but, did they design it by analyzing stresses and figuring how thick to make the concrete, etc. Or, was it just built by scaling up earlier designs, and when they collapsed, making it bigger.

An example of trial and error is pyramid building. The pyramid of Zoser in Maidun collapsed while the outer casing was being built. The pyramid at Dashur was being built at the same time (but started some 10-15 years later), and they thought the collapse was due to being too steep, so they reduced the angle midway up, producing the bent pyramid. Later it was apparently determined that the problem was more how the courses of stone were laid (it couldn't resist the compressional loading, and essentially, the weight of the top courses squished the bottom courses out, like a watermelon seed between your fingers), so later designs essentially had the courses sloping rather than flat.

I don't know that pyramid architects actually figured this out by analyzing the forces, or by just doing some empirical experiments.