Re: [TCML] Tesla Coiling Without Sparks

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Gary Peterson wrote:

> Regarding the wireless transmission of electrical energy between a Tesla
> coil transmitter and a Tesla coil receiver, it is my understanding that only
> three mechanisms are available according to accepted electromagnetic field
> theory.  These are far-field electromagnetic radiation or ordinary radio
> waves, mutual induction and mutual capacitance.

There is a fourth:  travelling EM waves coupled to a conductor.  Waves of
current in a conductor and voltage along a conductor are coupled to EM
travelling waves.  After all, that's how a TC secondary works, as
described in Corum's papers.

Imagine winding a TC secondary onto a rubber hose: a very long, very
narrow coil with a rubber core.  If you inductively inject EM pulses near
one end of this coiled wire, they will travel along it.  That's not
"radiation," any more than DC circuits involve radiation.  It's nearfield
physics.

The Goubau or "G-line" uses similar physics, but without the coil.  The 2D
case is the Zenneck surface waves travelling over a resistive
plane.  And as with G-lines, the challenge is to build a "launcher" which
matches transmitter impedance to the waveguide.  For VLF, the launcher
size would necessarily be << wavelength, so a high-Q resonant matching
network would be an obvious choice.

Note well that these are not "radio waves..."  or perhaps I should turn it
around and say that 60Hz power lines and flashlight circuits are actually
conductive waveguides for EM fields, for electromagnetic energy of low
frequency.

> Another proposed mechanism for which a mathematical description is presently
> being sought is that which Tesla referred to as "electrostatic induction."
> Can you help me out in this regard?

That sounds like another way of saying "mutual capacitance."

William J. Beaty                http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty chem washington edu       Research Engineer
billbamascicom                  UW Chem Dept,  Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195                    Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700