Re: [TCML] 8" toroid photo

In a message dated 2/5/2008 8:59:43 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

John:

What type of polish/abrasive do you prefer to get the  beautiful mirror
finish on the smaller toroids?  Will this same type  also work on the 14 x
3" size toroids?

Dr.  Resonance

Dr. R,

I apply only heavy pressure with the spinning tool to create the  polished
finish.  However it only works on the small toroids.  This is  because
the small toroids have a tight ROC, and more pressure can more
easily be applied to a given area of the surface.  I thought I'd be  able
to use the method for the 8" toroids, but so much pressure was  needed,
that it was ruining  (compressing) the spinning mandrel.  Also,  even
with heavy pressure it was hard to get an even finish on the 8"  toroid.
For the 13" toroid, it's immeasurable more difficult.  I tried it a  few times
in the past, but gave up.  To use actual abrasives and polish to
create the polished surface would be too much work considering
the price of the toroids.  Someone might be able to do it if  they
had the right equipment, but I'm not set up for it.

John

48)