Re: [TCML] First ever Pig SISG.... inadvertently

In a message dated 2/4/08 8:11:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>    I don't know anything about SISG, but if I  understand Phil's setup

>he has no filter cap on his rectifier.

    That is correct. None at all.

>Would that not lead to phasing problems if he got his bps around  120, just
like a sync AC gap,
> or does something else come into play that causes  that to be a moot factor

   Well, there is the inductive ballast on the primary  side of the pig, so
there is some reactive components involved. But there's  nothing downstream of
the rectifier to do any filtering except the primary  cap. The goal is to get
the thing to run as low a BPS as possible - basically  to aim for 120 BPS as
the most efficient. I can certainly say that as I  continue to add more primary
cap, the BPS keeps coming down and the sparks get  better. I would *guess*
I'm running around 500 BPS. But I can hear when the  sparks load it down just
right, and it gets an awesome metallic modulating  noise and then it just roars!
It's done the same thing when I ran my  SRSG through the same coil.

> or does a filter cap make no difference).

    Good question - if I'd read this post three hours  ago I would've tried
it tonight!

>Also do you need a charging choke for an SISG coil?

I believe that the design papers for the SISG  using MOT's have chokes on the
HV side mainly for ballast purposes - again  they limit the source impedance
of the power supply which then sets the SISG's  BPS. I think it also helps
block RF getting back to the mains (wishful  thinking?) I'm running ultrafast
diodes in my bridge, unlike anybody else, so  I haven't worried about filtering
back to the Pig.
    I am running two 200 Ohm 100 W power resitors in  the DC line, but
they're there to protect the bridge against surges. I wish I  knew if they were
doing that job...

>Please excuse my ignorance!

    Scott, please excuse *mine*! I really don't know  what I'm doing. So if
*I* can make it work, and not break it, anybody can do it!  Those of us doing
the SISG thing are utterly confused why everybody else hasn't  jumped on the
bandwagon!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

48)